Saturday, November 3, 2007

Eowyn

So Eowyn is here for those of you who don't know that is the name of my daughter. By the way the name is from the Lord of the Rings and not it is not the elf it is the blond haired woman who kills the wraith in the third film and it is pronounced long A long O and then Win so like A o win but Eowyn.
We were pretty sure she wouldn't be here for oh tweny days or so but she apparently had other ideas. I have to say it's hard not to look at her and not say God is amazing. And let me briefly lay out four things I have learned so far about being a dad.

1. I have no idea what I'm doing.
2. So far I suck at being a dad.
3. Maybe the point of being a dad is to keep them alive and hopefully not screw them up too bad and I wonder if everyone is as terrified as I am.
4. She already has me in the palm of her hand.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

you've only been at it what...5 days now? Besides, she won't remember all the screw ups you make at this point anyway

Jason said...

1. No one has any idea what they're doing.

2. Sure you suck, but you get better. The problem is, you get better at parenting your child as she is NOW. The ironic part is that by the time you get better at parenting her, she will change and then you will suck again. It took me about 7 years to figure than one out.

3. That's not a bad plan. If you can consistently pay attention well enough to keep your child alive, you'll probably be worthy of some kind of award. And you should be afraid, but not too afraid. Kids are pretty resilient and forgiving of your mistakes. I've gone to bed after many a day wondering if my children could ever forgive me, and they always seem to! No doubt a few years of therapy in their twenties will help!

4. I'm sure you'll make a great dad.